A New Home for Christ Community Church
The first Sunday service in our current sanctuary was held on November 5, 1961. Here are some background facts:
For twenty years, CCC worshipped in the 2,000 seat Zion Auditorium adjoining the college building. On April 11, 1959, this church home was destroyed by fire. For two years the congregation worshipped in the gym of Zion-Benton Township High School, and the Passion Play continued in the West Campus Auditorium in Waukegan.
Soon after this fire, architect Edgar Firant of Grand Rapids was commissioned to design the new sanctuary, to be built on the spot that John Alexander Dowie had designated sixty years before as the temple site. With ground breaking on April 24, 1960, keen interest developed as the triangular base took form and the gothic arches were put in place. The chancel arch soared over 60 feet in height, while the narthex arch, spanning 140 feet. The chancel window was soon put in place with more than 900 pieces of beautiful, colored antique glass being set into a filigree pattern. Each 2-1/2 by 4 feet block of the window weighs about 800 pounds.
The architect consulted with church leaders to ensure the building’s design said something about CCC beliefs. For example:
- The brass doors recall the brazen basin at the entrance to Solomons temple.
- The wave pattern on the doors suggests the waters of baptism.
- The sanctuary’s floor plan and nave are triangular, representing the Trinity.
- Seven steps lead to the nave – four for the four gospels and three for the Trinity.