Minding The Gap
The purpose of Minding the Gap is to offer care and compassion to our church family through life’s more difficult and challenging moments–to serve as a light in the darkness, whether that darkness comes from the loss of a loved one, the pain of divorce, loss of employment, a serious or terminal illness or long-term disability. By obeying the command found in Galations 6:2 to “carry each other’s burdens and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ”, we intentionally come alongside to share the burdens of those hurting in our church family, ensuring that no one fall through the gap.
Some of our more tangible ministry efforts include:
- Those who’ve lost a spouse or child over the past two years are remembered purposefully with cards, calls, coffee dates, small gifts of encouragement, meals and baked treats.
- Booklets on the stages of grief are sent to those who’ve experienced a deep loss over the course of a year.
- Meals are prepared and delivered once a week to some of our shut-ins, and meals are made to cover a week or two for those who are recovering from a serious illness or injury.
- For all those who’ve lost a loved one, no matter what season of life, the Coffee Clutch Group meets every 3rd Thursday of the month at 8:30 am (September through May at El Lago Restaurant, call for location during the summer months). The hope is that those who are facing a recent loss might find comfort, compassion and safety among those who’ve experienced the same type of loss but are further along the road to healing.
- Various outings or planned gatherings are held throughout the year for those who are under the care ministry of MTG.
Are you facing the loss of a loved one, a long-term illness or the pain of divorce? Allow us to minister to you! Are you looking for a way to reach out to those who are hurting? Make a difference in their lives today by joining MTG! For more information, contact Jan Tjader in the church office at 847-746-1411.
It may be hard for you to feel optimistic about the future right now. If you’ve lost a spouse, child, family member or friend, you’ve probably found that there are not many people who understand the deep hurt you feel. That’s the reason for GriefShare, a special seminar and support group for people grieving the loss of someone close. This group is led by people who understand what you are experiencing and want to offer you comfort and encouragement during this difficult time.
Each GriefShare session includes a video and seminar featuring top experts on grief and recovery subjects. These videos also include on-location video and the real-life stories of people who have experienced losses like yours.
After viewing the video you’ll participate in a small group discussion about what you’ve seen on the tape. You’ll also have the opportunity to interact with others who have experienced a recent loss, learn about their experiences and have the opportunity to share your own.
We meet on Mondays, 7:00-9:00pm, in the parlor next to church office. An incredibly helpful workbook accompanies the course and is the only cost of involvement. The workbooks cost $13 but scholarships are readily available if the cost would present a financial hardship. We don’t want anything to stand in the way of your recovery from grief.
“A Season of Grief” Daily Emails
When a loved one or friend dies, grieving that loss can take a long time, but you are not alone. GriefShare is here with support groups, and now daily emails, that provide encouragement and reminders of the recovery process. Interested? To sign up for our daily emails go to http://www.griefshare.com/dailyemails/ and you will start receiving them.